I hope all of you had a great Memorial Day weekend, and took the time out to think about what the weekend really means. As Alexander Hamilton said, “war is the price of liberty”.
I decided to write a post today about music that is currently rocking my world. Most of it is rockabilly music, but I scattered a few more modern songs in the mix as well 😉
1. “Sailor Jerry Rum” by the Faraway Boys – I just love this song, and I keep it on repeat. I discovered it yesterday on Pandora while listening to “JD McPherson radio”. The guitar throughout the whole song just gets you going.
2. “Lonely Girl” by Pink – This song I feel just was written for me at a lot of points in my life. I have never really fit in, and this song just describes it to a T. Linda Perry also wrote and sang on this track, and I just have a huge amount of admiration for her – I think she is a genius! Good stuff.
3. “Hurt” by Johnny Cash – This song just gives me the chills. Cash’s haunting voice is just so perfect for this song, which Trent Reznor wrote.
4. “A Gentle Awakening” by JD McPherson – I don’t think JD can do any wrong. This song just has a great haunt to it, and the piano in this song just really makes the whole thing.
5. “Staying Alive” by The Bee Gees – I know, I know, it’s disco. But I find that the title of this song has a new meaning since the recent passing of Robin Gibb. His memory and legacy will be staying alive through his music, for sure. And besides, this song always makes me want to dance and swag, even despite my bad foot 😉
6.“We All Got Somebody That We Want To Kill” by Hipbone Slim & the Knee Tremblers – Oh yes, I whole heartedly agree. The title of this rockabilly song just says it all. A great song to vent some frustration with.
7. “50’s Pin Up” by Si Cranstoun – If you haven’t heard this man’s music yet, what’s wrong with you?! This song will make you want to get up and start jiving as soon as it starts. Si is surely becoming a superstar in rockabilly scene, and deservedly so, I must say. He’s growing on me like JD McPherson has.
8.“Take A Picture” by Filter – This song has such a floaty, ethereal vibe to it. I remember hearing it years ago, when I was still in school, but I never quite remembered enough to figure out the artist or song title. Only just recently did I hear it on TV, and consequently googled the lyrics. Within thirty seconds, it was downloaded onto my iPod.
9. “Heaven” by I Monster – This may be an obscure band to most people, and it certainly was to me. But a friend and fellow music junkie introduced me to this magical track. Just like “Take A Picture“, it has a very ethereal vibe to it – perhaps even more so. This is a song you could just veg out to while laying in a country field during the night, staring up into the sky, analyzing the stars.
10. “Tainted Love” by Imelda May – This cover of Soft Cell’s ’80s classic is just amazing. I am usually a fervent loyalist to original versions of songs, but this one just really took up residence inside my cranium. Somehow May perfectly melds the main original elements of the song with her own rockabilly gal twist. Good stuff.
All of the songs I have listed are available on iTunes. So go ahead, download to your heart’s content! Help support music and the people who bring it to you 🙂
What’s your current music obsession at the moment? Why do you think that may be?