Dressing for Your Skintone

Ever notice how great you look in one colour but not another? Is there one colour that whenever you wear it you get noticed and complimented more? There’s a reason that is so: certain colours look best with your skintone. But how is a girl to know? Well I’m here to tell you!

The most important thing to knowing what colours look best on you is what type of skin tone you have. The best way to go about this is to look at the inside of your wrist – if your veins have a bluish tint, you have a “cooler” skin tone; if your veins have more of a green tint, then you have a “warmer” skin tone. Also, if you have a pinkish base or undertone to your skin, then you are cool also. A warm skin tone tends to have a yellow undertone. These are the basics you need to know in order to find colours that look best on you. There are also sub divisions being spring, summer, autumn, and winter tones which we will cover. Once you figure out your tone, look for it below and read on!

Winter Tones

20120831-130838.jpg

I have a winter tone myself. I have a western European heritage, so it makes sense. I remember when I was working and a drug rep came in and said, “Wow, you look amazing in that colour!” I was wearing a blue-based red. I always knew red looked good on me, but I had no idea it was that striking. Then I noticed my skin tone and understood instantly. Red is my favourite colour to wear. Other colours that look good are navy blue, black, cobalt blue, true purple, hot pink, and pure white. Your veins should have a blue hue, and your hair will have a cool tone to it as well, such as black, other dark colours, and even platinum blonde. Silver tends to look better on us rather than gold. Pastels do not jive too well on us either.

Spring Tones

20120831-125410.jpg

Spring girls all have golden or yellow undertones to their skin, and have red or golden undertones in their hair. Most have blue or green eyes of some sort. Bright, vivid, and clear colours work best on you ladies, such as sunshine yellow, creamy white, teal, spring green, lilac, and more. Dark, intense, and muted colours are not flattering either, and gold jewelry looks best.

Summer Tones

20120831-130159.jpg

All of you summer ladies should have blue or pink undertones to your skin, as well as more ashy type hair ranging from blonde to brunette., with no red or gold highlights. Blue, green, grey, hazel, and soft brown eye colours are common. What jewelry looks best? Anyone? Silver, that’s right, because of tour skin’s cool undertones. The colours that look best on you are cool. soft, dusty, and muted colours such as lilac, powder blue, dusty rose, mint green, and a soft grey. Try to avoid bold or rich colours.

Autumn Tones

20120831-130821.jpg

Autumn women have yellow or golden skin tones, consequently making gold jewelry match their skin better. Their hair ranges from red to brown, all with red or golden undertones, and their eyes are either golden brown, green, or dark blue. Spicy and earthy colours look best on you ladies. When you think of the fall, you tend to think of the colours changing on the trees and the abundance of colour that the earth is showing, all in spicy and golden tones. Those are the colours that look best for you: pumpkin orange, mustard yellow, ginger, peach, and cream. Avoid true pastels and bright colours.

What colours look best on you? What colours do you wish you could wear but they don’t go with your tone?

14 comments on “Dressing for Your Skintone

1. Veronica Vintage says:

Photos thanks to http://oohtreschic.blogspot.com.au.

2. Bunny Moreno says:

I Lovvvvvvvvvvvvvve this post!!! Just trying to figure out what I am heheh xox

3. Niki Steward says:

I’ve recently been loving all the pastels that have been coming round, but as a medium toned black female I’ve been hesitant about investing in anything.

Olive greens, mustard yellows, plums, and burnt oranges look amazing and are my favorite colors to wear by far.

4. Kristy says:

I am so confused as to what skin tone I am and what colors or shades to wear. It affects my makeup as well as my wardrobe. You seem to be really good at explaining things and I dont fit any of these categories, could you shed some light? I have greyish-blue eyes, pale but yellow-toned skin- (its obvious there is no red in my skin tone), medium ashy brown hair that easily highlights blonde in the summer. I used to get red highlights underneath my hair as a girl. I can get very very tan which suprises people as I am very pale. I look good in the right shades of orange, coral, taupes, browns and navy. I look good in most grays (esp. med. gray) and most all shades of blueish-greens and between there. As far as jewlery idk, i think prob. aged silver and aged gold look best, if you can picture that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• Kristy-

Email me with pictures of you and I can give you a good idea of what your coloring is. At least one shot indoors w/ light, and one in outdoor natural lighting. I’d be glad to help! Check out my contact page for my email address 🙂

5. Ely says:

I have a problem… My veins are blue and green. Some places are blue and some are green. Another thing is my hair has blue and red undertones. So what colors would I look good in?

6. lorina says:

I’m very confused please help me I can never find the right makeup

7. Reblogged this on The effortless formula and commented:
    I found this post really helpful and interesting, hope you do too! xx

8. lbs says:

I see this is an older post, but how helpful!! I am struggling because I seem to have some of both category- warm and cool, depending on what season we are in. I know certain colors deff. don’t look good on me and certain ones look a lot better. Any chance you could tell me what what season you think I am?

• I am sorry for not replying sooner, dear! I must say that looking at your avatar picture, I would gather that you are a Winter, just like me! I base this on your skin tone, hair color, and eyes. Check out what colors work for you and go for it!

9. Nina says:

Thank you for this wonderful article. I been researching about skin tones and trying to figure out what my undertone is and it’s been a little confusing. So finally I went to Sephora and they did a text on me and they said my results were that I have yellow undertone and I’m a medium dark. I was excited to finally know that so I started to search about colors for me to wear and it got more confusing with this 4 season complexion “thing”. I confess though that your article explain very well and I understood much more than other articles I read. And I love the colors you put together for each season. But now I’m slightly confused. Many u can help me. I think I am a autumn because I have yellow undertone and medium dark. But the thing is I have dark brown hair and dark brown eyes and brown freckles in my face. Mostly checks and nose. So which season I am autumn or spring? And not to mention that I feel drown to bright colors all the time :). Can you help me please?

10. I think I’m a Summer flowing into Winter. I can pull off the rich blues and purples of Winter and the softer colors of Summer. I can also get away with the Winter pinks, if I like. I have light to medium ash brown hair, blue-green eyes with flecks of gold, pale white skin with blue undertones.