All of this gloom for the past two weeks has really gotten to me lately. I don’t want to do anything, and I’ve been wearing my robe like its a uniform lately. And trust me, this robe ain’t glamourous, honey. I’m sure my recent bout of flu didn’t help either. But what is a gal to do?
Well, I have been trying to think of precisely that, my dears. I have been doing some things lately that have made me at least smile a bit and feel more like a homo sapien again, which is always nice 🙂
So, being the lovely lass that I am, I have decided to conjure up a list of helpful activities and non-activities to help brighten your mood and your spirit. Some vintage/rockabilly related, others besides. But all great for their intended purpose!
1. Plan a day with friends – I know it may be hard to feel motivated to get out of bed and head out of the house for anything, but trust me, you will have just as good of a time hanging out with them as you do in the summer – maybe even more! Laughing and having fun has been proven to produce endorphins, and make you feel happy! And I am sure your friends could use that same boost as well. Do all of yourselves a favour!
2. Wear bright colours at least somewhere – I know some of you ladies tend to follow that old fashion rule of darker, more subdued colours in fall/winter and more brights in the spring/summer. But don’t you feel ever so much more peppy and fun in a nice bright red or sunshine yellow? Why not do that now, when we need it most? If you’re still a little put off, then wear some bright nail polish, bright leggings, bright lipstick, whatever – it will make you stand out and seem way more happy than all those other depressing people wearing black and grey and blahhhh.
3. Start your spring and summer wardrobe shopping now – Get ahead of the game on your spring and summer wardrobe before anyone else does. You will already feel like the sun is getting warmer and the leaves are sprouting on the trees! You will have something to look forward to and oogle and gush over what to wear in the warmer weather. Plus, you will probably get most of these items cheaper since it is considered “off season” – yet another plus!
4. Go for a walk – I know, I know, it is cold. But hear me out. Go for a walk when it is sunny out – get some fresh air, enjoy nature despite it’s “down time”, and get your vitamin D! Vitamin D from the sun is vital to keeping the chemicals in your brain being balanced on the happy side, and all you need is at least 15 minutes! I go for walks with my dog and even though it may be pretty darned cold, it’s always nice to get some fresh air and sun on your skin, no matter what the temperature may be.
5. Watch some classic movies that have a happy vibe – There are quite a few movies from Old Hollywood that are just silly and fun. I like to watch them just to cheer me up. Some good ones that I like are I Was A Male War Bride with the ever debonaire Cary Grant, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Monkey Business with Marilyn Monroe. The Thin Man movies are rather funny in their quips and are more light hearted despite the murder premise. Rita Hayworth’s Cover Girl is great, and Gene Kelly’s Singin’ In The Rain always puts a smile on my face. There are a ton of great classic movies out there to make you come out with a little more pep in your step!
6. Treat yourself to some luxury – Take a nice long bath. Go get a massage. Have a manicure or pedicure. Sometimes, us girls need to treat ourselves to these things to relax and destress and just make ourselves feel like we are in a happier place. Surely the winter blues can’t take the joy out of a good massage! Ohh, to have a massage right now…
7. Read! – I highly agree with ReeRee Rockette’s finger tattoos that say “read more” – everyone should! I am currently reading an excellent book entitled Over Here! New York City During WWII by Lorraine Diehl and it just makes me happy in that I am learning some very interesting and cool things that I never would have learned otherwise. And with this being my hometown especially, that makes the book even more fun to read! So go to Amazon, go to Barnes & Noble, or go to the library and find yourself a book you will thoroughly enjoy and get lost in. The right book is like a sedative for the soul!
8. Glam up – You know what always makes me feel good? Having some kick ass makeup on and my hair looking fabulous. I seriously have an extra pop in my step because I just feel better than usual. “But what if I don’t really have any place to go?” you may ask. My answer? Who cares! Find that time as a wonderful opportunity to practice on your vintage hairstyling, eye shadow applications, and getting that cat’s eye liner flick just right. Practice makes for a better look later on, and it sure is fun no matter what.
I hope these tips help all of you out there who feel like…well…crap during these total downer winter months. Is there anything else that any of you do that helps to take the funk away?